Wednesday, April 7, 2010

The End

Like all things, this blog must come to an end.  Tonight, rather than discuss something new that I tried or relate a real world experience back to my readings, I'm simply going to take a step back and assess how I did on Dr. Anderson's criteria.

Try unexpected things

I may not have rode a unicycle to work or spoken only in 30 Rock quotes for a day (which, sadly, I'm pretty confident I could pull off), but I think I tried a few new things here and there.  Not only did I break from my normal routine, but I also made an effort to document what I learned from the experiences; so I'll give my self a modest mark- A++++

Live withs


Ray's book had what seemed like an endless supply to heuristics.  These combined with the ones we reviewed in class left me with no shortage of "live with" rules to try out.  Over the course of this experiment I documented a handful that I either actively followed or utilized in the moment.  Good enough for a solid B, in my opinion.

Creative Ideas

This is an area that I felt I did a fine job documenting in my journal.  Again, I personally didn't have any breakthrough moments of creativity or wildly original ideas over the course of the past month, but I think I did a good job of discussing how creativity is affected by a person's environment or lifestyle.  And if I understood this assignment, I think that was one of the points.  B?  A-?  It's not my decision, but I'm comfortable with the end product.

Try, Analyze, Learn, Observe


OK, time to stop patting myself on the back for a job well done. Although I feel that I thoroughly addressed the other three journal requirements, this is an area that I undoubtedly overlooked.  In fact, consider this message that I received from a real life reader:

Your blog sounds like a commercial for creativity self help books.  [...] I want you to be more critical of what "being creative" means, and how being more or less creative affects you in your work.


This criticism couldn't have been more on point, I just wish I would have received it earlier.  Although I discussed new things that I tried, methods recommended by research academics, and my own thoughts on creative ideas, I failed to analyze all the creative things I might have been doing over the past month.  Although I could say that the combination of school and work leaves me with no time to actually be critical of my creative ideas, that's nothing but a cop out.  So in this criteria, I'll have to give myself a slice of humble pie- F+  (hopefully Dr. Anderson will be a little kinder).

Well, that's it boys and girls.  Although I enjoyed invited you all into my life for a few weeks, I think my days in the blogosphere are coming to an end.  Special thanks to Dr. Laurie Anderson for her engaging lectures and assignments, to my readers for actually reading this, and last, but not least, to the guy talking on his cell phone in the library the whole time I wrote this final post.  That's a deal breaker, ladies.

Wexler out!

No comments:

Post a Comment