Friday, April 2, 2010

The Super Project: Part I (If at First You don't Succeed, Surrender)

Today marked the end of a particularly rough week.  What made this week more difficult than the typical work/school week was the FIN 502 assignment due on Wednesday.  This assignment was nothing more than a paper that had to address a few questions regarding an HBS study- nothing out of the ordinary, right?

Right... accept that I had MGT class all day Saturday, a marketing case that I needed to complete by Monday, and I was coming down with a cold.

So, needless to say, W.P. Carey had assassinated another one of my weekends.  But this is nothing out of the ordinary.  The only item that had become a wrench in the system was that pesky finance assignment due at 5:30pm PST on Wednesday.

Unfortunately, I did not get to to begin my work on the finance assignment until Sunday morning; and after  meeting with some of my classmates to work on the case, it quickly became apparent to me that I was behind schedule if I wanted to submit a quality paper by Wednesday.  My classmates had already calculated the free cash flows and NPV associated with the case whereas I had just finished reading the case for the first time.  And this is when my VOJ showed- up right on schedule.

I began to doubt myself; doubt whether I would be able to submit a quality paper- let alone any paper- by the assignment's due date.  I was trying my best to get work done on the assignment, but I found myself constantly distracted: bathroom break, food break, music break, TV break, walk the dog, another food break, and so on.  Despite working on the case almost all day, by Sunday evening I was nowhere near where I needed to be in order to finish the assignment by Wednesday.  My VOJ was winning; telling me that I would fail.

By the time Monday morning rolled around, I had developed a full blown cold.  I woke up, called out of work, and slept in.  Despite feeling like crap, this turned out to be a blessing in disguise as it gave me some much needed time to catch up on the finance assignment.  And catch up I did.  Maybe it was the good night's rest, maybe it was the nutritious breakfast that I ate, or maybe it was the effect that a steady stream of coffee was having on my body, but for one reason or another I was able to focus on Monday at a level that just wasn't happening on Sunday.  Without even realizing it (until after the fact, hence this post) I had experienced one Ray and Myers primary heuristics; that of, if at first you don't succeed, surrender.  I had completely let go of the stress associated with the assignment (the due date, quality, length of paper, etc) and just got down to business on the assignment itself.  And just like one of the students that Ray and Myers' describes in their book, once I started working on the assignment, all of the details began to fall into place.  By Monday evening, I was back on track to submit a quality paper by Wednesday.

More on this in a bit..

No comments:

Post a Comment