Friday, March 26, 2010

The Death of Creativity

I put in my hours at work.  I went to class on Monday and Wednesday.  I worked on school assignments Tuesday, Thursday, and earlier today.  I woke up early and went to bed late.  I skipped dinners just to have more time to sleep.   It was another typical week, and here I am Friday evening- exhausted with class just nine hours away.  I couldn't think of a better time to discuss  fatigue's effects on creativity.

In my opinion, being tired seriously hinders creativity.  Reaching a state of exhaustion effectively murders creativity.  If you're tired and can no longer operate effectively, go to sleep.  The world's not going anywhere.  It will be there tomorrow, I promise.  Turn off your BlackBerry.  You're not that important, I promise.

I just don't see the benefit of trying to think creatively on no gas, when one could easily recharge and tackle the task at hand the next day.  If our assigned readings and class discussions have taught me anything, it's that there are a variety of ways to get the creative juices flowing- why waste your time running on empty when you're creativity- like any other trait- works best when you're at your best.

This idea made more sense in my head, but now I seem to be having difficulty fleshing it out into a coherent journal entry.  Maybe it's because I'm... well, tired (see paragraph one).  I'm going to bed.  I'm confident that my creative capabilities will still be there when I wake up.

1 comment:

  1. I've made a career of learning how to maintain a certain amount of my creativity while being tired. What I have learned is there are different types of creativity, and I can only maintain certain types while exhausted. This mostly applies to lateral thinking, and is sometimes enhanced by being tired. I'm certainly not suggesting you should try to learn this, but just that some people function with stress as a positive motivator.

    ReplyDelete