Friday, March 26, 2010

Don't Think About It

I finally got around to reading chapter seven of Creativity and Business and I must say that I found it to be the most interesting chapter thus far.  I can't quite put my finger on it, but I just felt a sense of resonance with Ray's philosophy of "don't think about."  Unfortunately, despite my thoughts on the chapter, the heuristic is one that I practice quite rarely.  I just don't have the time to "empty my cup."  Lets take a look at my typical weekday:

Wake up
Walk Bruno
Eat Breakfast
Get ready for work (get dressed, brush teeth, etc.)
Feed Bruno and walk him again
Drive to work
Work
Eat Lunch
Go for a walk
Work some more
Go to class OR go to gym OR work on class assignments
eat dinner
shower
sleep

Don't get my wrong, an hour of meditation sounds like a fine idea.  In fact, an hour of any non school or work related activity is pretty sweet; but the fact remains that I don't seem to have the time available to empty my cup... or so it seems.

Maybe I already am experiencing a this sensation of letting go.  Am I at peace with myself when I'm focused on an intense workout at the gym?  When I'm cruising (see rocking out) from Tempe to Phoenix with my windows down and the stereo blasting?  Or what about I'm at work and it's just me and markets?  Although I definitely haven't spent much (any?) time formally meditating or studying zen buddhism, I do tend to get intensely focused on a handful of activities, focused to the point that I lose touch with the world around me.  If I understood Michael Ray, maybe this isn't a bad thing.




No comments:

Post a Comment